Post-Divorce Modifications

Get a Michigan Family Law Attorney on Your Side

When a couple’s divorce is finalized, both spouses receive a court document known as a “judgment of divorce” that states the provisions of the divorce. While a judgment is enforceable by law and must be followed by both spouses, it is by no means absolute and can be changed given the right circumstances. As children get older and jobs change, a judgment may need to be modified in order to accommodate for such changes. If you are in need of a post-divorce modification, a Michigan divorce lawyer from The Badalucco Firm can walk you step-by-step through the associated legal processes and advocate for a favorable result on your behalf.

Having helped countless clients with various family law matters since 2006, our founding attorney Andrea Badalucco has the vast legal knowledge and skills to protect your rights and maximize your chances of securing the results you need. With one-on-one, personalized advocacy and an uncompromising dedication to ensuring your wellbeing, our firm can help you achieve an effective and swift resolution for your situation.

Contact our firm online or give us a call at (248) 467-8208 to get started.

Types of Modifications

Nearly any aspect of a divorce arrangement can be changed after the fact given the right circumstances. In order to pursue a modification, one or both spouses must petition with the courts and convince the judge to change their divorce agreement. A petition for modification can be initiated by either spouse and can be filed jointly if both spouses are in agreement on the proposed changes.

The following provisions of a divorce agreement may be modified:

In circumstances where the spouses are not in agreement, the seeking spouse must be able to prove that a qualifying change in circumstances warrants the change. Valid reasons for modifications can include loss of employment, substantial increase or decrease in income of either spouse, or the relocation of a spouse. Absent demonstrable fraud, property settlements may typically only be amended with the agreement of both spouses.

Schedule a Free Consultation Today

If you are in need of a modification of any type, or are looking to defend against a proposed modification, our firm can represent your interests and fight to secure a desirable outcome on your behalf. No matter what the circumstances may be surrounding your situation, we are committed to handling your case with the utmost professionalism and confidentiality. We can answer any questions you may have and help you through the process of petitioning and negotiating with your spouse.

Take advantage of your free case evaluation today to review your legal options.